Congratulations, you’re embarking on the journey of buying a new home! Whether or not this is your first home purchase, there are several considerations to keep in mind during the process. The real estate experts at 1st Choice South Carolina have five essential tips for buying a home.
- Think About Location
The location of your home is the one aspect of a potential new home that you can’t change or influence. Your new home’s condition, the size, decor, even the price are all aspects that you can change. The location, however, you can’t. When you’re buying a home, you need to make sure that the area you’re buying in is both where you can enjoy living, and where you can live comfortably. Real estate agents work to make sure the location of your home is right for you as well as the home itself. If you have the perfect home but not in the right location, it won’t work. The trick to finding the right neighborhood for you is to think about the future of the location. If it shows promise, it’ll be a good investment. If it’s “good” now, there’s no telling what will happen in the future. Don’t assume that the location will stay optimal for you, but choose a location that you can see the future of.
- Size, Style, And Affordability
When considering whether or not to buy a home, real estate experts recommend thinking about how you live in your current home, and how that can be translated to the home you’re considering. Do you enjoy a large outdoor area, a large kitchen, a quiet office space, etc.in your current home, and does the home you’re considering uphold that lifestyle? What do you want to upgrade from your old home? Do you want a bigger backyard, more bedrooms, etc. What are your financial goals? Do you have a budget? Style and amenities with a new home come at a heftier price tag.
- New Or Old?
Although the answer to this question relies on personal preference, it is still an important one to think about and to let your real estate agent know. Are you looking for a home with promise that you’re willing to remodel, or are you looking to buy a brand new home that’s just been built? Each option varies in both price and work involved.
- Consider Maintenance
Whether or not you consider yourself a “handy” person, the average new home requires maintenance. Any home requires maintenance to keep it in good condition. The top maintenance problems typical homeowners experience within the first few years are:
- Jammed Garbage Disposal
- Leaky Faucets/Running Toilets
- Peeling/Cracked Paint
- Failure To Address Water Damage
- Failure To Prepare For Winter
- Ignoring Appliance Maintenance
- Failure To Check Every Six Months For Repairs
When buying a new home, being prepared financially is key. Make sure you discuss with your real estate agent potential maintenance and repair costs, so that you are able to budget for them.
- Don’t Forget Resale Value
A large consideration most first time home buyers forget is thinking about their new home’s resale value. Does it have potential to be sold if and when you move again? Even if you aren’t planning on it, life happens and you want to make sure you’re prepared to sell if you have to. The top factors of a home that affect their resale value are:
- The Location
- The Age Of Your Home – people tend to want either old or brand new homes. If your home falls somewhere in the middle, focus on other aspects to make your home extra desirable despite its age.
- Potential Outdated Renovations – If anything is outdated in your home, that is guaranteed to affect the resale value in a negative way.
- Bedroom And Bathroom – The condition of the bedroom and bathroom is critical. These are the top two rooms in a home that people look at when buying a home.
- Space – People generally tend to prefer homes with lots of open space. If your home feels cramped, consider making improvements to open up your space.
- Lighting – Along with space, buyers love light. Consider adding lighting to your home to enhance the decor and make it more desirable to potential buyers.
When buying a home, it’s extremely beneficial to have a real estate agent to help you with the process. Real estate agents are experts in this process, and can help you find the home of your dreams, in the best location, at the right price. 1st Choice South Carolina’s real estate agents are dedicated to keeping you updated every step of the way, and ensuring that all of your real estate needs are met. Call us today to get started.